Monday 13 November 2017

More INKtober sketches

If you follow me on Instagram you would have seen these already although I don't always share my process stages on Instagram so you get lucky there.

Sorry I'm late in posting all the INKtober sketches I did but life just gets busy at times.

So here goes...

INKtober 17/31 - Official prompt was GRACEFUL so I went with a swan.

I sketched it in a Strathmore Grey-toned sketchbook - approx. A5 in size

Starting out with a loose ballpoint pen sketch

First pass of ink

More layers

And the end result

I wasn't overly happy with how the water turned out. I could have dabbled more on it but I tried not to spend too much time on the INKtober sketches.

INKtober 18 - You would have seen on Scribble Picnic - Castle

INKtober 19/31 - I went with an ink-toned sketch of daisies from a negative space aspect using SUMI ink. This was sketched in a Moleskine watercolour notebook - approx. A5 in size.  The Sumi ink behaved a little differently on the watercolour paper so it took a bit of wrestling.

I used an acrylic painting I did years ago as my inspiration for the inked piece above

INKtober 20/31 - Egret. Keeping with the ink and negative space aspect but, this time, using Speedball India ink. I think it behaved a little better than the Sumi ink on the watercolour paper.
Done in Moleskine watercolour notebook approx. A5 in size.

I will leave it at that for today...tune in tomorrow for the last lot of INKtober sketches.

4 comments:

  1. All lovely! So the India ink worked better on watercolor paper than the sumi ink. Good to know. These are so good, Serena! I keep saying it but--You are soooo talented!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like your water with your swan :)works well with the swans colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all lovely indeed but I do love that first swan the most! I am sure it has to do with seeing it emerge, as if from foggy mists, as you go through the stages of creating it. :) I love the water in it. I think it would be an interesting experiment to have artists describe their dissatisfaction with their work, the imperfections or the "mistakes" and then viewers respond by saying why they do not see the same flaws even when they've been pointed out. I see each and every little detail that is not perfect in my little creations but no-one else ever seems to see them as I do. :) All that is to say, it's PERFECT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of them ESPECIALLY the swan! So beautiful Serena :)

    ReplyDelete